I don’t normally make ‘requested’ cards. I make cards and donate them to charitable causes and organisations who sell them to raise their much-needed funds. But .. I made an exception with the request for this card. The person who asked me if I would make a card for someone told me about the lady they wanted a card made for, and also why they wanted a special card made – and I knew I had to make the card. And that’s why this is a ‘Special’ Pink Ribbon Card.
The person who asked me to make the card said that she liked vintage looking cards, and said she “would love a card with a bike on it, like on the other card…” which she’d seen on my blog (here → https://thecobweboriumemporium.wordpress.com/2014/07/30/take-time-to-stop-and-smell-the-flowers/ ). She also said that she’d love some pink flowers on the card.
So armed with this information, I set out on my journey of making a special card ….
I began with the background:- I embossed a 6×6 piece of good quality craft card using a Sheena Douglass embossing folder, putting the card through the embossing machine twice (because the embossing folder I wanted to use was only 5 x 7.) I had to be careful about where I placed the ‘join of the pattern’ of the double pass so that the embossing ‘fell’ just right so that the pattern continued as seamlessly as possible.
Then came colouring the woodland scene: Three colours of Gentle Blends (by Pinflair) blending the colours over the embossed areas in the places I wanted them to be and then using a duster brush I added a little cantaloupe coloured ink from a Memento Ink Pad and another yellowy colour which was slightly more buttery, to the centre of the ‘view’ to give it that ‘hazy sunshine in the background’ feeling.
I hand painted the butterflies, leaves, flowers and grass using a paint brush and Memento ink pads, and. once the ink was dry added a little pearl gilding wax to some of the butterflies, to give them a slightly ethereal feel and make them look as if their wings were fluttering. I gave each of them a little glitter trail – ‘falling’ behind them as they fluttered their wings to fly, using a glue pen and some of my favourite glitter dust. It kind of gave the whole scene a magical feel.
The sign post I built using my computer. I went around all the edges of the sign post with a black pen so that it gave the post a little depth and made it look like it had a dark shadow falling behind it.
I wanted to add a little more depth to the leaves on the branches , so I ran the embossing folder with a scrap of craft card inserted into it, though the embossing machine again, but this time carefully cut out a branch and its leaves, and then painted the branch and leaves using the paintbrush method, but this time in three darker shades of green so that it looked like it was somehow in the shade. (I added a little glitter to the very edges of some leaves, which again, just added to that all round magical woodland feeling).
I die cut the bicycle using some textured black card, and, using a white pen, added highlights to the bike where the light would have naturally caught on it, to give it more of a dimensional feel.
At last I was able to assemble the whole card. I fixed the sign post to the background, using Pinflair Glue Gel, and a tiny bit of tape on the back, where I’d pushed the bottom part of the post through to the back of the embossed card. Then attached the embossed background to the card base – with my favourite ‘go to’ glue: Collall All Purpose Glue.
The bike was added using some black foam tape, cut and snipped to the right proportions, and the extra branch was added using Pinflair glue gel and Anita’s Tacky Glue.
I added some pretty papers to the inside of the card and stamped a butterfly from a set which I’ve had for donkeys years . . .
. . . and so that the inside of the card reflected the front, I added a little bicycle stamp to the other half of the inside of the card. Signed the back and … voila! One card all done and dusted . . . . . . . except . . . . . it needed something more . . . A Box! So I made it a special box …
The decoration to the top of the lid was made using a Tonic Die set, and I just glittered the words (‘with love’) and the wings of the dragonfly.
NOW it was finished! I’m really pleased with this card. It has something magical and special about it. I love it.
Thank you so much for coming to share this card with me. I enjoy your company!
Have a truly fabulous Sunday! ~